How long to get a sponsor?

Emma1298

Hi all

Wondering how long it should take to get a sponsor? Husband still doesn't have one after 6 weeks, and I'm fed up with the excuses and reasons as to why he doesn't. 

He's been excusing his lack of action in many areas for years. 

I want to know if I'm being unreasonable, if it really is that hard to get a sponsor for sex addiction, or is he excusing away his lack of action again.

Thanks all

• Like 1

Hi Emma 1298

I’m no expert, being fairly new to this myself , but I have recently been reading some literature from Sanon.org, the partner’s arm of the 12 step programme , and my understanding is that it can take a while to find a sponsor. It might help you to find other sources of ‘evidence of commitment to recovery’ , as Firefly says, maybe an online recovery programme (see the Laurel centre website) or a 12 step programme (SAuk.org)? 
my husband has completed the basic recovery programme and the group he was in is keeping in touch and holding each other accountable and that is a huge relief and support to him and to me. 
hope that helps x

• Like 2

Hi Emma,  I'm new to this forum too, but hopefully can give you a little comfort.  My husband went on a 12 step programme and did one meeting a week as well as several weekly phone calls.  Even though he was fully committed it took him two or three months to get a sponsor..  Apparently sponsors want to know you are serious about recovery.  As long as he is working on his steps I think that is what's important.  Look after yourself.

• Like 1