What can partners expect from their partner attending 8 week course?

Inabubble

Dear Inabubble,  I would hope your husband gains a huge amount from the course.  It is educational, practical and supportive.   Here are a few testimonies from people who have attended previous courses:

"For the first time, I feel like I have started to address the 'nub' of my issues and some of the things which have been holding me back in life, and not just the addiction.  It's not for the half-hearted or uncommitted but with the willingness to change it has helped to set me on the right path."

"I was reluctant at first to join the course. "We are British, for heaven's sake!" and really don't bare our souls publicly. However the opportunity to share with others on similar journeys was immensely valuable - frequently another member of the group expressed what I was struggling with much better than I could as he described his own circumstances. We became a Band of Brothers on a tough but achievable journey - that's quite a thing compared tackling the challenge "alone".

"The course has completely transformed the way I see my life, past , present and future. I was nervous and sceptical of working in a group however I knew it was time to stop hiding. The group dynamic allowed me to understand more about myself through the stories and eyes of others. The course is for those who really wish to commit to making a change and are willing to opened up they heart and mind to new possibilities."

"I wish I had had this education a long time ago. I am so grateful to have been able to be coached by someone with the right knowledge, as well as to be in the company of 5 other souls who have been, and I am sure will continue to be, supportive of my journey to recovery. Lots to do, and lots of challenges lie in the way, but I feel equipped to handle them all... thank you from me and my partner"

Hope that gives you some peace of mind.  Ginny

• Firefly unpinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi @Girlinabubble, my husband completed the course a few weeks ago and has also attended a shorter workshop on understanding the needs of your partner. I would say he has been confronted now with the reality of how his addiction has impacted me, and not just from me! So I would say yes, I would hope that your partner will have a deeper understanding of the effect of his behaviour. If not, I’d be asking questions... ;) hope that helps x

• Like 3