Trust and trying to find answers... do we need them?

Yenala

I found out early this year about my husbands 20+ year addiction. We have been together 8 years, married with a 1.5 year old and another on the way (I know, we obviously weren’t making sensible decisions this year!). It is what it is. Despite everything that has been revealed we love each other as soulmates, beyond the behaviour. We have, without a doubt, the most amazing connection. Something I think neither of us wished for because we thought it was not possible; hence we are doing what we can to keep going most days. 

My my question is specifically about trust and searching for answers....

I always thought once trust was gone that I would leave a relationship, my entire life I held this belief of how I would behave if someone cheated on me. After the discovery and open discussions I went searching for trust and rebuilding it in our relationship, but I now sense trust may never come.  Who knows what happens in the future.... we can’t trust things we don’t even know right? So is trust the be all and end all? Can you accept someone without always asking them to share what they do, and still feel love and connection?

I notice my husband and I, independently of one another, find ourselves in the most pain when asking questions... eg. Why can’t I stop doing this? Why isn’t anything helping? How do I keep going? Etc... to the point he regularly says he doesn’t know how to go on, and I’m worried one day he will do something so he doesn’t have to. Do you all find you feel the same? Any ideas how to change this mindset where we are constantly wishing there was an answer. Is there even an answer?!

thanks in advance for any replies. This is my first time to this forum! 

• 1 month later...